Thursday 2 February 2012

training with charlie

Today I went to a pet store to buy a new water dish as the other one cracked somehow.. I also got a rope perch (because they were on sale for only $7!!).


I was going to let the birds out today, but there ended up being no time..
I did however manage to separate them in different sides of there cage so I could talk to charlie a little.
I'm taking things slowly, he stood on my finger and its longer now that he stands without biting. I also played some videos of other budgies talking and he actually paid a fair bit of attention but kirby was chirping and got quite distracting.
So I'm going to try repeating simple things right now, probably just like "hello" or "hello birdies" and "pretty bird" that kind of thing.
His really getting good and making different noises... and seems to love chirping and bobbing his head away :)


I've been doing a lot of research about training parrots and birds in general, and am really liking what I'm learning.
I felt with Charlie and Kirby when I first got them progress was slow, and then it suddenly went fast and they were jumping on my hands and kirby especially was SO confident... but then I was so excited about the progress the training kind of stopped... I was at a dead end "what should I do next?"


I felt I didn't know how to take the next step, they're both quickly becoming confident birds while they are in the cage, and even while out of the cage... but how do I make them LEARN, how do I make them pay attention. To really want to be out of the cage.. a lot of the time when they come out they just run around on the top of the cage together.
I would love to teach them to fly to me when called and get them flying, really exercising those wings...
Last time they were out they ran around on the carpet which is fine, but I would like them to fly more :)


So I think my plan is:
1. be consistent, make sure they have training sessions out of the cage at least once a week. (so they get used to coming out and viewing it as a good thing)
2. do target training every day with charlie and kirby both.
3. talk to them more, repeating the same phases... (to do this I'm going to try and say hello every time i come in the room and goodbye when I leave)
4. spend more time just with Charlie on my hand so there is no jealousy from Kirby. then after playing with Charlie make sure to play with Kirby so she understands she gets her turn too.


hopefully I make some progress and the birds will soon be flying every week and learning new things :)



No comments:

Post a Comment